WHAT ARE THE KENNY AWARDS?
The purpose of the Kenny Awards is to recognize, reward, and encourage student talent and achievement in high school musical theatre productions. We aim to highlight student effort, skill, and talent, not the efforts and abilities of the professionals guiding them.
WHO CAN GET INVOLVED IN THE KENNY AWARDS?
The Kenny Awards are open to any high school that produces a musical in Erie, Niagara, Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, and Allegany counties.
WHAT IS THE PROCESS?
1. First, your high school musical director will need to submit an application for the school to be considered as a finalist.
2. All applying directors will meet with a panel of our Kenny Awards judges to review the application and interview for their school’s musical.
3. 10 schools will be chosen as Kenny Award finalists.
4. Kenny Award judges will attend the performances of all finalist high schools.
5. Nominees for the Kenny Awards will be announced, as well as the leading actor and actresses from each school.
6. Leading actor and actress nominees will go through a week-long boot camp in preparations for the Kenny Awards Ceremony
7. On May 16th, we will host workshops, activities and rehearsals for The Kenny Awards Ceremony
8. The Kenny Awards Ceremony will take place. All winners will be announced throughout the evening, including our Outstanding Musical Production winner who will receive a $10,000 grant towards their Theatre Department.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR THE WINNING SCHOOL?
The school that wins The Kenny for Outstanding Musical Production receives a $10,000 grant from the Lipke Foundation to support their theatre department. In addition, the two students who receive the awards for Outstanding Leading Actor and Actress, will get the opportunity to participate in The Jimmy Awards, aka. the national high school musical theatre awards, in New York City and make their Broadway debut.
WHO DO I CONTACT FOR MORE INFORMATION?
Kathleen Washington at firstname.lastname@example.org
KEY DATES TO MARK ON YOUR CALENDAR:
OCTOBER 4, 2019:Deadline for WNY high school musicals to apply
OCTOBER 8-10, 2019: Directors interviews with Kenny Judges
OCTOBER 14, 2019: Kenny finalists announcement
APRIL 27 – MAY 2, 2020: Leading actor and actress boot camp
MAY 16, 2020: Kenny Day workshops from 9:00am-3:00pm; Kenny Awards Ceremony at 6:00pm.
DOWNLOAD THE 2020 APPLICATION: